Postdoctoral Associates fulfill an important role at the University of Florida, and come to the University in order to enhance their research skills and build their careers. Postdoctoral associates should not remain at the University in postdoctoral positions beyond this training period. [UF Regulation 7.003]
- Postdoctoral associates should be hired via an initial appointment of no more than 4 years.
- Mentors and postdoctoral associates should create a career plan (or “Individual Development Plan”) that provides a path for skills development, sets career goals, provides metrics by which success of the plan can be measured, and outlines an exit strategy for the associate.
- All postdoctoral associates should be evaluated annually by their supervisors.
- At the end of the initial appointment, the postdoctoral associate may (a) leave UF or take a regular position; (b) apply for an extension of the postdoctoral position in the same laboratory (maximum of 2 additional years with thorough justification); or (c) apply to study in a different UF laboratory in order to gain additional skills (maximum of 2 additional years).
- It should be made clear to the postdoctoral associate that at the end of a maximum of 6 years, there will be no further extensions of a postdoctoral appointment. Any subsequent UF employment must be through a normal search process for a regular position.
In order to extend a postdoctoral appointment beyond 4 years, approval of the Provost is required.
Requests for approval should include the career plan, copies of annual evaluations, and the rationale for extension based on the need for additional skills or project completion, and the exit plan (leaving UF, assistance provided to search for new position, etc.). The request must be made no later than 6 months prior to the termination date of the original appointment.
Postdoctoral Associate Extension Request Form
Postdoc Professional Development Plan
myIDP (Individual Development Plan)
UF Clinical and Translational Science Institute Mentor Academy
AAMC Postdoc and Mentors Compact
GMS 7093 (Introduction to Clinical and Translational Research)
Sample Individual Development Plans
Human Resources Postdoc Appointment Letter